Thursday, July 24, 2008

Kindergarten Letter

Dear Kindergarten Teacher,

In a few weeks when the school year begins you will have my son Jack in your class. I don't know you and you don't know him but I am looking forward to that changing. As I write this weeks in advance I am almost in tears over it all. I will be the mother with her sunglasses on when I bring him to you. I will also be the one sitting on the curb in a puddle after he walks into your classroom. Oh yeah and I will be the one there to greet him when he leaves your room that first day as well. I am a teacher and I have rolled my eyes at mothers like me a million times and assured many a parent that it will be fine, I will take care of their child, I will care for their child, and love them when they are with me. But boy is this different. I want to to let you know that Jack is precious, he is kind, he is sweet, his is all boy, he loves football, he asks a lot of questions, he is always hungry, he is sometimes unsure of himself and things, he hates spiders, he can by shy and he can be outgoing, he will love recess, he is worried about reading and math, he loves football, he is glad his friend Hannah will be in class with him, he is a rule follower, and he love football! I know you come to work everyday loving your job and loving working with all kids. I do the same. Please know that we are thankful for you and for the compassion and care you are going to give him daily. Please know we are excited for him to learn and grow this year. Just please also know how precious he is to us!

Thank you! And yes it is okay to roll your eyes at me when I am not looking. Oh yeah and if he tells anyone he is going to kick their ass that really is my fault!

1 comment:

Bob Hansel said...

I cried as I read this! I'll be waiting for the morning phone call, and don't worry... I'll cry with you.